A vase for porcelain flowers mounted on metal stems or possibly for cut flowers. The model was probably designed by Duplessis and was first introduced in 1753, the current size (the second size) appearing in 1759. It was named after the marquis de Courteille, the King’s representative responsible for the administration of the Sèvres factory. The painted scene is based on a print by JH Eberts after Boucher titled ‘Ismène et Daphnis’. The gilding over the blue ground is of a pattern known as vermiculé (referring to worm tunnels).
Referenced in 1 publication
Eighteenth - Century European Porcelain in the Kenneth Reed collection, Sydney, 2012, 99 (colour illus.). cat.no. 124