- Media category
- Materials used
- diptych: pencil, pastel, charcoal, wax crayon, enamel paint, photographs
- a) 38.0 x 244.0 cm sheet; 39.5 x 245.0 x 3.0 cm frame b) 106.6 x 244.0 cm sheet; 108.0 x 245.0 x 3.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. upper panel, black crayon "Christo 1982".
- John Kaldor Family Collection
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Christo
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Surrounded Islands, Biscayne Bay, Greater Miami, Florida 1980-83
After nearly three years of planning on 7 May 1983 the installation of 'Surrounded Islands' was completed. Using 603,865 square metres of pink woven polypropylene fabric, Christo and Jeanne-Claude encircled 11 islands in Miami's Biscayne Bay. Taking three days to install, the fabric extended across an 11 kilometre area and increased the perimeter of each island by 61 metres. A cast of engineers, lawyers, marine biologists and ornithologists were involved in preparations for the project and a team of 430 workers were required to position and anchor the fabric. 'Surrounded Islands' remained on view for two weeks and could be seen from the water, the land and the air.
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Journey to now: John Kaldor art projects and collection, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, 18 Apr 2003–06 Jul 2003
John Kaldor Family Collection Artist Rooms #1 - Christo:
- Gosford Regional Gallery & Arts Centre, Gosford 01 Feb 2013–01 Apr 2013
- Glasshouse Regional Gallery, New South Wales 04 Jul 2013–25 Aug 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 13 Sep 2013–01 Dec 2013
- Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre & Liverpool Regional Museum, Casula 09 Dec 2013–26 Jan 2014
Making art public: 50 years of Kaldor Public Art Projects, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Sep 2019–16 Feb 2020
Referenced in 3 publications
Anthony Bond OAM (Curator), Landmarks, Katoomba, 2017, 20.
Sophie Forbat, John Kaldor family collection: Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Christo', pg.62-77, Sydney, 2011, 65, 77 (colour illus.).
Adam Free, Journey to now: John Kaldor art projects and collection, Adelaide, 2003, 60.
Other works by Christo
See more works