- Media categories
- Drawing , Collage
- Materials used
- diptych: pencil charcoal, pastel, wax crayon, enamel paint, three photographs by Wolfgang Volz and map
- a) 243.4 x 106.4 cm panel; 245.4 x 108.0 x 3.0 cm perspex b) 243.4 x 37.5 cm panel; 245.4 x 39.5 x 3.0 cm perspex
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l. panel b, black fibre-tipped pen "Christo 1985".
- John Kaldor Family Collection
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Christo
- Artist information
Works in the collection
The Gates, Project for Central Park, New York City 1979-2005
Conceived in 1979, this ambitious project punctuated the winding paths of New York’s Central Park with fabric for 16 days during February 2005.
'The Gates' was inspired by Frederick Law Olmsted’s original design for Central Park that included gates at the start of each of the park’s many walkways. Christo and Jeanne-Claude developed this concept to create their continuous stream of fabric gates; each constructed with rectangular frames almost five metres tall and between 2.7 and 8.5 metres wide to accommodate the varying widths of the footpaths, and supporting a fabric panel. The 7503 gates were positioned along 37 kilometres of Central Park’s walkways, transforming the meandering paths with a sea of billowing saffron fabric.
'The Gates' was the final work the artists completed together before Jeanne-Claude’s death in 2009.
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Journey to now: John Kaldor art projects and collection, Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, 18 Apr 2003–06 Jul 2003
John Kaldor Family Collection Artist Rooms #1 - Christo:
- Gosford Regional Gallery & Arts Centre, Gosford 01 Feb 2013–01 Apr 2013
- Glasshouse Regional Gallery, New South Wales 04 Jul 2013–25 Aug 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 13 Sep 2013–01 Dec 2013
- Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre & Liverpool Regional Museum, Casula 09 Dec 2013–26 Jan 2014
Making art public: 50 years of Kaldor Public Art Projects, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Sep 2019–16 Feb 2020
Referenced in 3 publications
Sophie Forbat, John Kaldor family collection: Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Christo', pg.62-77, Sydney, 2011, 65, 74-75 (colour illus.). illustration on page 75 is a detail
Anthony Bond OAM (Curator), Landmarks, Katoomba, 2017, 20.
Adam Free, Journey to now: John Kaldor art projects and collection, Adelaide, 2003, 28 (colour illus.), 60.
Other works by Christo
See more works