The underglaze blue (‘bleu lapis’) ground introduced in 1752 was one of the most successful innovations of the Vincennes factory. The colour was applied to the biscuit porcelain with a sponge and then fired before the application of the glaze. The blurred edges of the reserves were then covered with thickly applied and intricately tooled gilding. The marks have been applied separately by the craftsman who applied the ground colour and by the painter.
12.2 x 16.2 x 9.2 cm :
a - teapot; 10.3 x 16.2 x 9.2 cm
b - lid; 2.3 x 5.6 x 5.6 cm
On loan from Kenneth Reed
Referenced in 1 publication
Eighteenth - Century European Porcelain in the Kenneth Reed collection, Sydney, 2012, 38 (colour illus., detail), 40 (colour illus.). cat.no. 43