We acknowledge the Gadigal of the Eora Nation, the traditional custodians of the Country on which the Art Gallery of NSW stands.

🛈 We’re open again. Read about our COVID-safe plans and how you can visit.

Title

Historical exterior view of the northern elevation of the Art Gallery of New South Wales before the 1968-72 additions by Andrew Andersons

November 1968

Artist

Kerry Dundas

Australia

08 Jun 1931 – Aug 2010

  • Details

    Place where the work was made
    Sydney New South Wales Australia
    Date
    November 1968
    Media category
    Photograph
    Materials used
    gelatin silver photograph
    Dimensions
    21.5 x 30.5 cm
    Signature & date

    Not signed. Dated u.r corner, pen "November 1968" on the reverse.

    Credit
    National Art Archive. Art Gallery of New South Wales Institutional Archive
    Location
    Not on display
    Accession number
    ARC2.2.9
    Copyright
    © Estate of Kerry Dundas

    Reproduction requests

    Artist information
    Kerry Dundas

    Works in the collection

    29

    Share
  • About

    This photograph shows the striking juncture between architect's Horbury Hunt's original building on the Art Gallery site in the Outer Domain (1885) and Walter Liberty Vernon's 1909 wing of the completed facade. Vernon intended for the Hunt building to be demolished and replaced by a series of grand northern courts, mirrowing those completed on the southern side of the building. However, his overall schema for the Gallery was never completed. Hunt's building, derided by the press when it was built as 'the art barn', remained until 1968 when it was demolished as part of the 'Captain Cook Bi-Centennial' extensions to the Gallery designed by architect Andrew Andersons.

  • Places

    Where the work was made

    Sydney

Other works by Kerry Dundas

See all 29 works