We acknowledge the Gadigal of the Eora Nation, the traditional custodians of the Country on which the Art Gallery of NSW stands.

Title

Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic Gardens

circa 1881

Artist

Unknown

Australia

Alternate image of Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic Gardens by Unknown
Alternate image of Historical exterior view of the now demolished original Art Gallery of New South Wales in the Botanic Gardens by Unknown
  • Details

    Place where the work was made
    Sydney New South Wales Australia
    Date
    circa 1881
    Media category
    Photograph
    Materials used
    gelatin silver photograph
    Dimensions
    21.4 x 30.3 cm
    Signature & date

    Not signed. Not dated.

    Credit
    National Art Archive. Art Gallery of New South Wales Institutional archive
    Location
    Not on display
    Accession number
    ARC2.2.2
    Copyright

    Reproduction requests

    Artist information
    Unknown

    Works in the collection

    937

    Share
  • About

    The Gallery’s first dedicated building was erected in the Domain in 1879 as a ‘Fine Arts Annexe’ to the Sydney International Exhibition of that year. It was designed by William Wardell, built of timber and about 4000 square metres in size. It contained nine galleries and a corridor. During the International exhibition only part of the Gallery’s collection was exhibited in this building, with galleries also given over to temporary exhibits from Austria, Germany, Great Britain, France and Belgium. When the International exhibition closed, the trustees were successful in having this building entirely dedicated as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales”, despite the efforts of government architect James Barnet to have the annexe demolished and the collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales housed in the Garden Palace. The Governor Lord Loftus officially dedicated the building as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales” on 20 September 1880. This photograph of the façade of the gallery shows how the building was just within the walls of the inner Domain, now the Botanic Gardens.

  • Places

    Where the work was made

    Sydney

Other works by Unknown

See more works