We acknowledge the Gadigal of the Eora Nation, the traditional custodians of the Country on which the Art Gallery of NSW stands.

🛈 We’re open again. Read about our COVID-safe plans and how you can visit.

Title

Historical interior view of the Art Gallery of New South Wales

circa 1881

Artist

Unknown

Australia

  • Details

    Place where the work was made
    Sydney New South Wales Australia
    Date
    circa 1881
    Media category
    Photograph
    Materials used
    gelatin silver photograph
    Dimensions
    20.0 x 25.0 cm
    Signature & date

    Not signed. Not dated.

    Credit
    National Art Archive. Art Gallery of New South Wales Institutional Archive
    Location
    Not on display
    Accession number
    ARC2.1.99
    Copyright

    Reproduction requests

    Artist information
    Unknown

    Works in the collection

    1,094

    Share
  • About

    The Gallery’s first dedicated building was erected in the Botanic Gardens in 1879 as a ‘Fine Arts Annexe’ to the Sydney International Exhibition of that year. It was designed by William Wardell, built of timber and about 4000 square metres in size. It contained nine simple galleries. During the International exhibition only part of the Gallery’s collection was exhibited in this building, with galleries also given over to temporary exhibits from Austria, Germany, Great Britain, France and Belgium.
    When the Sydney International Exhibition closed in 1880 the Fine Arts Annexe was officially dedicated by the Governor as the Art Gallery of New South Wales. Contemporary reports noted that the walls were draped with fabrics ordered from Melbourne.

  • Places

    Where the work was made

    Sydney

Other works by Unknown

See all 1191 works