Architectural floor plan of the Fine Arts Annexe to the Sydney International exhibition
The Gallery’s first dedicated building was erected in the Domain in 1879 as a ‘Fine Arts Annexe’ to the Sydney International Exhibition of that year. It was designed by William Wardell, built of timber and about 4000 square metres in size. It contained nine galleries and a corridor. During the International exhibition only part of the Gallery’s collection was exhibited in this building, with galleries also given over to temporary exhibits from Austria, Germany, Great Britain, France and Belgium, as is evident from this floor plan. When the International exhibition closed, the trustees were successful in having this building entirely dedicated as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales”, despite the efforts of government architect James Barnet to have the annexe demolished and the collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales housed in the Garden Palace. The Governor Lord Loftus officially dedicated the building as the “Art Gallery of New South Wales” on 20 September 1880.
wood engraving, printed in black ink on paper
12.5 x 20.0 cm
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
National Art Archive. Art Gallery of New South Wales Institutional archive
Not on display
Where the work was made
Referenced in 1 publication
Official Record of the Sydney International Exhibition 1879, Sydney, 1881, p.438a. illustrated