This photograph is typical of Boyd Webb's pioneering work with performance and photography. The works are theatrical in the direct and obvious sense that they are records of staged events. The artist uses sculptural tableaux or pictorial installations to touch on global issues of our time: pollution, proliferation, entropy and extinction. Arranged specifically to be photographed, they function like a game of visual consequences, their narratives open ended. In his studio Webb conjures boundless space, an entire layered universe. Yet the vision is microcosmic, a constructed, a simplified version of the real world. This surrealist strategy allows viewers to make up their own sequels to the implied action.
Art Gallery Handbook, 1994.
unique Cibachrome photograph
151.0 x 121.0 cm image; 175.8 x 145.2 x 6.6 cm frame
Mervyn Horton Bequest Fund 1987
Not on display
© Boyd Webb
Shown in 7 exhibitions
- Anthony d'Offay Gallery, England Jun 1984–Jun 1984
Alles und noch viel mehr: das poetische ABC, Kunstmuseum Bern, Bern, May 1985–May 1985
A L'indifferent, John Hansard Gallery, University of Southampton, Nov 1985–Nov 1985
- Adelaide Festival of Arts, Adelaide 01 Mar 1986–23 Mar 1986
- Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, South Bank 23 Apr 1986–18 May 1986
- Centre for the Arts, University of Tasmania 02 Jun 1986–23 Jun 1986
- Power Gallery of Contemporary Art, University of Sydney 11 Jul 1986–08 Aug 1986
- Whitechapel Art Gallery, London 08 May 1987–21 Jun 1987
- Kestner-Gesellschaft, Hanover, Hannover 17 Jul 1987–30 Aug 1987
- The Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh 22 Jan 1988–03 Mar 1988
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, Los Angeles 18 Mar 1988–19 Jun 1988
International works from the permanent collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 12 Jan 1991–14 May 1991
A Constructed Reality: Aspects of Contemporary Photography, National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne, 12 Dec 1991–17 Feb 1992
Referenced in 6 publications
Adelaide Festival of Arts, Boyd Webb, Adelaide, 1986, (colour illus.).
Anthony Bond and Victoria Lynn, AGNSW Collections, 'Contemporary Practice - Here, There, Everywhere ...', pg. 229-285, Sydney, 1994, 278 (colour illus.).
Jenny Harper, Boyd Webb, Auckland, 1997, 92 (colour illus.).
John Hansard Gallery, University of Southampton, L'indifférent, England, 1985.
Gerhard Johann Lischka, Jean Hurbert Martin and Hans-Christoph von Tavel, Alles und noch viel mehr: das poetische ABC, Bern, 1985.
Stuart Morgan, Boyd Webb, 'Global Strategy', pg.9-20, London, 1987, 19, 57 (colour illus.).