- Place where the work was made
- Cultural origin
- Li people, possibly Meifu sub-group
- 20th century
- Media category
- Materials used
- cotton, natural indigo dye; ikat dyeing technique, continuous supplementary warp decoration
- 120.8 x 126.8 cm (irreg.)
- Gift of John Yu, in memory of George Soutter 2012. Donated through the Australian Government Cultural Gifts Program.
- Not on display
- Accession number
This woman’s tube skirt is typical of the Li people of Hainan Island in the South China Sea. It is elaborately decorated with supplementary warp yarns woven in geometric patterns and indigo-blue ikat geometric patterns. The textile is composed of five separately woven panels that are joined together.
Asian Art Department, AGNSW, February 2012.