Rowing Club, Wilcannia (first view), from the album New South Wales Royal Commission: Conservation of water. Views of scenery on the Darling and Lower Murray during the flood of 1886.
1850 - 1897
This is one of a series of photographs taken by Charles Bayliss in 1886 for the New South Wales Royal Commission into water conservation. Ironically, the area was under flood during the journey. Bayliss joined the expedition on its three week trip down the Darling River on the paddle steamer 'Florence Annie', travelling through the countryside and collecting evidence from squatters in the area.
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Colonial Photographers, Josef Lebovic Gallery, Kensington, 24 Mar 1984–28 Apr 1984
Critic's Choice, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 22 Apr 1994–10 Jul 1994
Arcadia: nineteenth century Australian photography, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 02 Oct 1998–13 Dec 1998
Referenced in 4 publications
Colonial Photographers, Sydney, 1984. cat.no. 116
Down the Darling - The Charles Bayliss Photographs, Sydney, 1991, 36, 37 (illus.).
Critic's Choice, Sydney, 1994. no catalogue numbers
Arcadia - nineteenth century Australian photography, Sydney, 1998. no catalogue numbers