- Media category
- Materials used
- pencil on ivory wove paper
- 25.4 x 15.3 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Initialled and dated l.r., pencil "L R / 23".
- Gift of Alan & Jancis Rees, the artist's son and daughter-in-law 2014. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © A&J Rees. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Lloyd Rees travelled to Europe several times, first in 1923-24 when he acquired a particular love of France and Italy and subsequently during the 1950s, 60s and 70s.
In 1923 he travelled by ship to England, to join his first fiancée, sculptor Daphne Mayo who was furthering her studies there. Rees spent several months in London drawing and painting in St Paul's Cathedral and also drew from the model at the Chelsea Polytechnic. He travelled to Paris with Mayo and made visits to the villages of Kingsand and Cawsand in Devon and Cornwall. The drawings in this gift date from this first visit and include a group of studies of the interior of St Paul's Cathedral another of life drawings made at the Chelsea Polytechnic and a number of other architectural studies.
Shown in 1 exhibition
Lloyd Rees Drawings (1995-96):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 09 Mar 1995–14 May 1995
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 09 Jun 1995–16 Jul 1995
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat 01 Sep 1995–15 Oct 1995
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Nov 1995–01 Jan 1996
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 24 Jan 1996–11 Mar 1996
Referenced in 1 publication
Hendrik Kolenberg and Edmund Capon AM, OBE, Lloyd Rees Drawings - Centenary Retrospective, Sydney, 1995, 21.
Other works by Lloyd Rees
See more works