- Media category
- Materials used
- pen, brush & ink, ink wash, pastel on paper
- 76.0 x 56.0 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, pen and black ink "John Olsen '87".
- Gift of Tim Olsen 2012. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © John Olsen/Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
This drawing is from Olsen's 'Letters to a young artist' series of 1986–87 in which he paid homage to those senior artists he regarded as guiding his inspiration. Olsen dedicated this important series of works to the artistic tradition and shared struggle to become an artist.
Tim Olsen, the artist's son and donor of the work, says that his father dedicated this important series of works to the artistic tradition (of which he believes/feels he is a part) and the shared struggle to become an artist. As he says of this series of drawings by his father: 'Through these works, he attempts to share his, or a master's thoughts and experiences with young artists and students. John was and is captivated 'By the transition of youthful enquiry to the disillusionment of old age'.
Shown in 1 exhibition
The three O's: Orban, Olsen & Ogburn:
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 18 Oct 2013–01 Dec 2013
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat 07 Dec 2013–19 Jan 2014
- Muswellbrook Art Centre 31 Jan 2014–02 Mar 2014
- Manly Art Gallery and Museum, Manly 21 Mar 2014–27 Apr 2014
- Maitland Regional Art Gallery, Maitland 02 May 2014–29 Jun 2014
- Artspace Mackay, Queensland 11 Jul 2014–31 Aug 2014
Other works by John Olsen
See all 131 works