- Other Title
- Portrait of Arthur Streeton
- circa 1900-1905
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas, later mounted on hardboard
- 55.6 x 40.7 cm board; 75.0 x 59.5 x 6.6 cm frame
- Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
- Bequest of Miss Joel 1925
- Not on display
- Accession number
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Arthur Streeton was often painted and sketched by his artist friends. New Zealand-born artist Grace Joel may have met Streeton when she studied in Melbourne in the 1880s. She moved to London in 1899 and painted this sombre-toned portrait soon after. In her article 'Australian artists in London', published in Sydney in 1906, she noted Streeton's difficulties in England: 'Arthur Streeton, too, has not yet established the eminence his Australian admirers expected of him ... his intensely sensitive nature has suffered from London life'.
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Grace Joel Paintings and Drawings (1980):
- Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin 26 Jan 1980–17 Feb 1980
- The Suter, Nelson 01 Jun 1980–15 Jun 1980
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 04 Sep 1980–05 Oct 1980
- Rotorua Art Gallery, New Zealand Jan 1981–Jan 1981
- Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui, Wanganui Feb 1981–Mar 1981
- The Robert McDougall Art Gallery, Christchurch 15 Apr 1981–15 May 1981
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington May 1981–Jun 1981
- Waikato Museum of Art and History, Hamilton Jul 1981–Aug 1981
Review: works by women from the permanent collection of the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 08 Mar 1995–04 Jun 1995
Streeton, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 07 Nov 2020–14 Feb 2021
She-oak and sunlight: Australian Impressionism, Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, Melbourne, 02 Apr 2021–22 Aug 2021
Referenced in 4 publications
Pippa, The Australasian, 'Society doings in Sydney.', pg. 45, Melbourne, 14 Apr 1906, 45.
Joel Schiff, Grace Joel: an impressionist portrait, Dunedin, 2014, 91, 97 (colour illus.), 135, 180.
DH Souter, Art and architecture: the journal of the Institute of Architects of New South Wales, 'Grace Joel, painter: some notes on her work', pg. 54-59, Sydney, 01 Mar 1906-Apr 1906, 58.
Table Talk, 'Miss Grace Joel's exhibition', pg. 26, Melbourne, 19 Jul 1906, 26.