28 Dec 1922 - 02 Apr 1994
'Sonix' was commissioned from the artist by the Peter Stuyvesant Trust in 1968. It was intended as an addition to the successful 'Art of the Space Age' exhibition which ran at the Art Gallery of South Australia at the end of 1968 and, following completion, was shown at state and regional galleries across the country in 1971 and 1972.
The 'chromasonic unit' is activated by music, the computerised notes of which create a series of flashing lights. The softer the note the softer the glow; the stronger the note the more violent the flash of light.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2005
light and sound sculpture
Gift of the Peter Stuvyesant Trust 1972
Not on display
@ Estate of Stanislaus Ostoja-Kotkowski
Shown in 1 exhibition
Lightworks, Museum of Contemporary Art, Australia, 09 Nov 1993–23 Mar 1994