- Media categories
- Drawing , Watercolour , Collage
- Materials used
- collage of sheet music and ink and watercolour on very thick off-white wove paper
- 13.4 x 10.0 cm image; 19.4 x 16.0 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., black ink "01 AM". Dated l.l., verso, pencil "2001 [within circle]".
- Gift of Matisse Mitelman 2018. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Allan Mitelman. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Described as ‘an art of sensibility’ (Terence Maloon, Allan Mitelman, paintings 1972-2002 Melbourne: VCA, 2002 p.23), Allan Mitelman’s work benefits from sustained observation. A palpable quality of touch is evident in every work, nuanced and appealing foremost to the senses. Mitelman’s work defies meaning; rather, each work is an object with which the viewer is persuaded to engage imaginatively and associatively. Complex, yet intimate in scale and intuitive in execution, his abstract mark-making is singularly obsessive, tactile and rarified. Drawing forms a central part of his practice, and the variety of his materials and drawing/painting methods lends nuance and variety to an oeuvre that at first glance appears largely monochromatic, later proves to be richly varied in colour and form.
Other works by Allan Mitelman
See more works