active Australia 1863–67 -
Joseph-Charles and Thomas Milligan were professional photographers who operated the London Portrait Saloon (later known as Milligan Brothers) in Sydney from 1863, specialising in inexpensive cartes de visite.
A carte de visite is a stiff card of about 10 x 6.4 cm, with an attached paper photograph, invented in 1854 by André-Adolphe-Eugène Disderi. They were introduced into Australia in 1859 by William Blackwood with albums arriving in 1860, aiding the collection and distribution of multiple cartes. Cartes were usually portraits and were made by the millions worldwide. Multi-lens, or ‘multiplying’ cameras were introduced in the 1860s, which were capable of producing from 2 to 32 images in quick succession, dramatically increasing the number of cartes de visite that could be made from a single photographic plate. They were easily reproduced by making paper contact prints from the glass plates, which were then cut and pasted to card.
carte de visite
8.8 x 6.2 cm image; 9.6 x 6.4 cm mount card
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Not on display