- Media category
- Materials used
- colour lithograph, printed in grey, blue and black ink on white BFK Rives paper
- 99.5 x 50.4 cm image; 100.0 x 53.5 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.l., pencil "... Grahame King '76".
- Purchased with funds provided by the Australian Prints, Drawings and Watercolours Benefactors' Fund 2009
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Estate of Grahame King
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Grahame King was born in Melbourne in 1915 and studied at the Working Mens' College, National Gallery School, Melbourne and the George Bell School between 1934-47. He served in the Australian Army during WWII, first exhibiting his work with the Army Design Department in 1943, and joined the Victorian Artists Society in 1945. In 1947-49 he travelled to England, studying at the Central School in London, where he lived at the Abbey; there he met Australian artists Robert Klippel and James Gleeson, as well as his future wife, the German sculptor Inge (Neufeld) King, whom he married in 1950. They returned to settle in Australia, where they built a home and studios in Warrandyte, north of Melbourne.
King was a key figure in a number of important artists' organisations throughout his career; in 1965 he was present at the formation of the Print Council of Australia, becoming a foundation member and secretary of the group in 1966. He lectured in painting, drawing and lithography at RMIT between 1966-88. In 1981-1991 he was on the Advisory Committee for the Australian Print Workshop, Melbourne and in 1991 was awarded an AM for services to art education. He exhibited his work consistently in group and solo shows from 1943 until his death.
Referenced in 1 publication
Sasha Grishin AM, Contemporary Australian printmaking: an interpretative history, Sydney, 1994, 65 (illus.).
Other works by Grahame King
See all 7 works