- Alternative title
- Mei - chû - B
- Place where the work was made
- Heisei period 1989 - → Japan
- Media category
- Materials used
- 73.5 x 89.0 cm image; 79.3 x 97.1 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., pencil " '90 Ryo Saitoh".
- Gift of the artist 1993
- Not on display
- Accession number
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Saito has been producing his brilliantly coloured, streamlined abstract prints since the 1970s. Born in Fukuoka and educated at Musashino Art College, Saito now lives in Ibaraki Prefecture.
This print belongs to a series called 'Small Planet' in which Saito seeks to express the scenery of his inner thoughts. His prints are full of movement as he seeks to capture the vastness of aerial space. His images contain a multi-layering of disparate fragments, each one a frame freeze on the multitude of visual images, symbols, and interference patterns that visually assault us every day. The energy and power of modem technology, visible and invisible, pervades his futuristic world.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints: The Urban Bonsai, 1992, pg. 68.
Where the work was made
Shown in 1 exhibition
The Urban Bonsai:
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Mar 1992–04 May 1992
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington 20 Jun 1992–09 Aug 1992
- Christchurch Art Gallery, Christchurch 12 Sep 1992–29 Oct 1992
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 13 Nov 1992–10 Jan 1993
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 18 Mar 1993–25 Apr 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 08 May 1993–01 Aug 1993
- Penrith Regional Gallery & The Lewers Bequest, Emu Plains 11 Mar 1994–24 Apr 1994
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 19 May 1994–19 Jun 1994
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 15 Jul 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Nov 1994–24 Dec 1994
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 01 Feb 1995–05 Mar 1995
Referenced in 1 publication
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints : The Urban Bonsai, Sydney, 1992, 68, 80 (colour illus.). cat. no. 48