Imamura's multi-media, sensitive abstract prints are testaments to the luxuriant pleasures of grey, and to the whims of chance, since his surfaces are enhanced by the vagaries of printing over which he has no control. The artist is sensitive to the conflicts of everyday life and the efforts to harmonise mind and body against the triple pressures of the environment, routine and time. As a sort of panacea, he recalls in this print the reverence he felt for nature when as a child he walked through the grounds of the shrine in the forest and felt the wind against his body. His print has the stature of a non-iconic homage to animism, the spirit dwelling within all natural phenomena, that was a central tenet of Japan's native religion of Shintoism.
Imamura still lives in Nagano Prefecture where he was born.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints: The Urban Bonsai, 1992, pg. 33.
Place where the work was made
Heisei period 1989 - → Japan
etching, aquatint and collagraph
89.5 x 59.5 cm image; 112.0 x 74.0 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., pencil "'91 Y. Ima...(illeg.)".
Gift of the artist 1993
Not on display
© IMAMURA Yoshio
Where the work was made
Shown in 1 exhibition
The Urban Bonsai:
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Mar 1992–04 May 1992
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington 20 Jun 1992–09 Aug 1992
- Christchurch Art Gallery, Christchurch 12 Sep 1992–29 Oct 1992
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 13 Nov 1992–10 Jan 1993
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 18 Mar 1993–25 Apr 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 08 May 1993–01 Aug 1993
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 11 Mar 1994–24 Apr 1994
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 19 May 1994–19 Jun 1994
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 15 Jul 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Nov 1994–24 Dec 1994
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 01 Feb 1995–05 Mar 1995
Referenced in 1 publication
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints : The Urban Bonsai, Sydney, 1992, 33, 43 (colour illus.). cat.no. 19