- Place where the work was made
- Heisei period 1989 - → Japan
- Media category
- Materials used
- offset lithograph
- 45.0 x 45.0 cm image; 61.0 x 61.0 cm sheet
- Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r., pencil "Susumu Endo '90".
- Gift of the artist 1993
- Not on display
- Accession number
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Endo is at the forefront of those artists incorporating the latest technology for image generation into the production of their own work. Born in Yamanashi Prefecture, educated at Kuwazawa Design Institute and now living in Tokyo, Endo continues to work as a graphic designer, producing highly finished, stylishly beautiful posters and graphics. It was only from the late 1970s that he began to produce prints, at which time he was well served by his rich experience as a designer, both technically and stylistically.
Endo considers photographs essential to his work and has been concentrating mainly on photographs of natural objects with which he creates visual illusions with the aid of computers. With his new desktop computer techniques he himself can develop the whole process of print production from concept to print, and he finds this ability to generate images quite revolutionary and challenging.
He enjoys spatial ambiguities and the transformation of photographic realities that he can elicit through his unique techniques. The objects that appear in his prints, often in strange juxtapositions, float free from gravity in their own spaces, illuminated by strange, transparent light. Endo is concerned with the process of transformation and with the creation of new time and spatial relationships. Whatever their individual title, all of his recent prints, including this one, belong to a series entitled 'Space and Space', an emphasis on his overriding concern.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints: The Urban Bonsai, 1992, pg. 25, 28.
Where the work was made
Shown in 1 exhibition
The Urban Bonsai:
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Mar 1992–04 May 1992
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington 20 Jun 1992–09 Aug 1992
- Christchurch Art Gallery, Christchurch 12 Sep 1992–29 Oct 1992
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 13 Nov 1992–10 Jan 1993
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 18 Mar 1993–25 Apr 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 08 May 1993–01 Aug 1993
- Penrith Regional Gallery & The Lewers Bequest, Emu Plains 11 Mar 1994–24 Apr 1994
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 19 May 1994–19 Jun 1994
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 15 Jul 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Nov 1994–24 Dec 1994
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 01 Feb 1995–05 Mar 1995
Referenced in 1 publication
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints : The Urban Bonsai, Sydney, 1992, 25, 27 (colour illus.), 28. cat no. 8