- Place where the work was made
New South Wales
- Media category
- Materials used
- black ink and brush, white gouache, watercolour, charcoal, pastel on white paper
- 153.0 x 102.0 cm sheet; 171.0 x 119.5 x 3.5 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, pencil "W Sharpe". Not dated.
- Purchased with funds provided by the Gil & Shay Docking Drawing Fund 2007
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Wendy Sharpe
- Dobell Prize for Drawing
- - 2007
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Wendy Sharpe's imagery is deliberately evocative and open to interpretation, suggestive - but not prescriptive - of narrative, and characteristically expressive and ebullient. This drawing relates to a series of works shown at Philip Bacon Gallery, Brisbane in August 2007, in an exhibition titled 'Stories from the studio' (31 July – 25 August 2007). Sharpe made a gouache study and oil painting of the same subject: the artist in her studio surrounded by enigmatic figures.
The quality and confidence of Sharpe's draughtsmanship is clearly evident in this particular drawing. In charcoal, pastel and ink it is less dependent upon the painterly use of gouache which has marked her work in previous years and therefore as a drawing, is the stronger for it. A drama of black and orange, centered upon the generous proportions of the female figure, 'Red dress' is one of Sharpe’s impressive recent drawings.
This work was a finalist in the 2007 Dobell Prize and was acquired by the Gallery in 2007.
Where the work was made
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Dobell Prize for Drawing 2007, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 24 Aug 2007–04 Nov 2007
Wendy Sharpe: The Imagined Life, S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 26 Feb 2011–10 Apr 2011
Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 Years of the Dobell Drawing Prize:
- Grafton Regional Gallery, 15 Feb 2013–24 Mar 2013
- Lake Macquarie City Art Gallery, Booragul 30 Mar 2013–05 May 2013
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange 05 Jul 2013–18 Aug 2013
- National Art School, Darlinghurst 29 Aug 2013–06 Oct 2013
- Tweed Regional Gallery & Margaret Olley Art Centre, Murwillumbah 18 Oct 2013–24 Nov 2013
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 11 Apr 2014–18 May 2014
Referenced in 2 publications
Helen Campbell, Contemporary Australian Drawing: 20 years of the Dobell Prize for Drawing, ‘Other works acquired from the Dobell Prize for Drawing’ compiled, pg. 62-72, Sydney, 2012, 5 (colour illus., detail), 71 (colour illus.), 78.
Hendrik Kolenberg, Look, 'A fine harvest of drawings: legacy of an exceptional draughtsman', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Nov 2011, 31.
Other works by Wendy Sharpe
See all 9 works