Untitled, Soldiers (The unenlightened or Limp blimps)
19 May 1929 - 25 Jul 2014
This painting is an example of the works Larter executed using a medical syringe filled with paint which was then squeezed in fine lines across the surface. Larter's figurative work was almost always provocative and political, with a number of works taking the Vietnam war as their subject.
alkyds and epoxies on board
49.5 x 68.2 cm; 55.5 x 73.7 cm frame
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Gift of Frank Watters 2018. Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
Not on display
© Richard Larter. Licensed by Copyright Agency
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Richard Larter: A survey 1985:
- University of Queensland Art Museum, Brisbane 14 Mar 1985–29 Apr 1985
- Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, South Bank Jul 1985–Aug 1985
- Canberra School of Art Gallery, Canberra Sep 1985–Sep 1985
- New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale Oct 1985–Oct 1985
- Orange Regional Gallery, Orange Dec 1985–Dec 1985
Frank's flat, Maitland Regional Art Gallery, Maitland, 27 May 2011–17 Jul 2011
Referenced in 2 publications
Terence Maloon, Richard Larter: A survey 1985, 1985, n.p. (illus). cat.no. 2 as 'The unenlightened or Limp blimps'
Frank’s flat: A selection from Frank Watters collection, Maitland, 2011, 1 (colour illus.), 29. cat.no. 118