Pont des Arts, Paris
17 Mar 1895 - 02 Dec 1988
In 1966-67, Lloyd and Marjory Rees visited Europe for the third time. In October 1966 and again in March 1967, Rees was in Paris, and this and two other small drawings [also in the Gallery's collection] are from a sketchbook used during the trip, which was one of his most rewarding experiences of the city. On earlier visits in 1923 and 1953, he had felt the experience of the First and Second World Wars had cast a blight over the city. But, in 1966, he found 'confirmation of my early idealism. Great areas are now the gleaming city I imagined it to be... All over the city buildings are being restored even in narrow bye [sic] streets.'
(Rees letter to Alan and Jan Rees, 31 October 1966, Rees family collection)
The pleasures of this visit is reflected in the concentrated clarity of theses sketches, which depict a pale grey day, shiny as polished pewter. The artist's palette of soft colours suggests that the season is autumn or
winter, and an atmosphere of misty light surrounds the solid inked-in shapes of bulidings, boats and bridges and dissolves the masses of foliage in the avenues of trees.
excerpt from exhibition catalogue, 'Lloyd Rees: Coming home', Rockhampton Regional Art Gallery, 2000
pen and black ink, carbon pencil, watercolour on ivory wove paper
11.3 x 20.3 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed and dated (incorrectly) l.l., pen and black ink "LR/ 69".
Gift of Alan and Jancis Rees 2002
Not on display
© A&J Rees. Licensed by Copyright Agency
Where the work was made
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Rees - Whiteley, On the Road to Berry:
Lloyd Rees: coming home (1999-2000):
- Rockhampton Art Gallery, Rockhampton 28 May 1999–01 Jul 1999
- Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville 17 Sep 1999–31 Oct 1999
- Logan Art Gallery, Logan Central 19 Nov 1999–29 Dec 1999
- Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery, Toowoomba 06 Jan 2000–06 Feb 2000
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Feb 2000–26 Mar 2000
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 01 Apr 2000–05 Jun 2000
- Geelong Art Gallery, Geelong 15 Jun 2000–13 Jul 2000
- Burnie Regional Art Gallery, Australia 11 Aug 2000–14 Sep 2000
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 04 Oct 2000–12 Nov 2000
Referenced in 3 publications
Lou Klepac, Lloyd Rees drawings, Sydney, 1978, 56 (illus.). cat.no. 46
Hendrik Kolenberg and Edmund Capon AM, OBE, Lloyd Rees Drawings - Centenary Retrospective, Sydney, 1995, 77 (illus.). cat.no. 84; titled 'Paris III'
Alan Rees, Jancis Rees and Sue Smith, Lloyd Rees coming home, Rockhampton, 1999, 38 (illus.). cat.no. 19