- Other Title
- Fuseli nightmare
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil, synthetic polymer paint, charcoal on canvas
- 171.4 x 211.4 cm stretcher; 180.8 x 221.4 x 4.8 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, red oil "BLACKMAN". Not dated.
- Purchased 1978
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Estate of Charles Blackman/Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Three years on: acquisitions 1978-81, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 15 Oct 1981–01 Dec 1981
CHARLES BLACKMAN - Schoolgirls and Angels:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 18 May 1993–22 Aug 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 15 Sep 1993–14 Nov 1993
- Museum of Brisbane, Brisbane 07 Dec 1993–27 Jan 1994
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 16 Feb 1994–04 Apr 1994
Referenced in 4 publications
Nadine Amadio, Charles Blackman: the lost domains, 'Nightmares', chapter 9, Sydney, 1980, 118 (colour illus.), 120, 144. plate no. 9.1, titled 'Fuseli nightmare'
Barry Pearce, Three years on: a selection of acquisitions 1978-1981, 'Australian Art', pg. 5-26, Sydney, 1981, 9 (illus.). cat.no. 4
Felicity St John Moore, Charles Blackman: schoolgirls and angels: a retrospective exhibition of paintings and drawings by Charles Blackman, Melbourne, 1993, 117 (colour illus.).
Natalie Wilson, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Out of Melbourne: realisms and mythologies', pg. 163-164, Sydney, 2000, 184 (colour illus.), 300.
Other works by Charles Blackman
See all 53 works