- Other Titles
- The stockman
The Shephard (The Stockman)
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas on hardboard
- 64.1 x 89.5 cm board; 75.8 x 101.2 x 4.7 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, black oil "Arthur Boyd". Not dated.
- Gift of Arthur Boyd and the Museum of Modern Art and Design of Australia 1972
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Reproduced with permission of Bundanon Trust
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 8 exhibitions
Arthur Boyd (1953), Peter Bray Gallery, Melbourne, 15 Sep 1953–24 Sep 1953
The formative years, 1940-45, Museum of Modern Art and Design, 17 Oct 1961–14 Nov 1961
Rebels and precursors: aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-1947 (1962):
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne Aug 1962–Sep 1962
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Sep 1962–21 Oct 1962
Arthur Boyd retrospective (1964), Museum of Modern Art and Design, , 05 May 1964–28 May 1964
Arthur Boyd's Australia (1970), National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne, 02 Apr 1970–04 May 1970
Arthur Boyd retrospective (1993-1994):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 15 Dec 1993–06 Mar 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 30 Mar 1994–23 May 1994
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 09 Jun 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 22 Sep 1994–20 Nov 1994
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Australian modern masterpieces from the Art Gallery of New South Wales:
Referenced in 8 publications
Margaret Garlick, Dissent: a radical quarterly, 'The extremes of Arthur Boyd', pg. 21-23, Melbourne, Spring 1964, 21-22.
Dr Ursula Hoff, The art of Arthur Boyd, London, 1986, (colour illus.). plate no. 33
Ronald Millar, Civilized magic: an interpretive guide to Australian paintings, Toorak, 1974, 100 (illus.).
Barry Pearce, Look, 'The legacy in Sydney Arthur Boyd', pg. 18-20, Melbourne, Jul 1999, 18.
Barry Pearce, Arthur Boyd retrospective, Sydney, 1993, 62 (colour illus.). cat.no. 44
Franz Philipp, Arthur Boyd, London, 1967, 38, 40. cat.no. 2.34; plate no. 24
Daniel Thomas, Art and Australia, 'Australian collection', pg. 52-62, Sydney, Jul 1972, 61 (illus.).
Rebels and precursors: Aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-47, 'This exhibition is dedicated to the late Basil Burdett, one-time art critic of the Melbourne "Herald"', pg. 3-6, Victoria, 1968, 5, 8. cat.no. 38; Collection of Modern Art of Australia
Other works by Arthur Boyd
See all 402 works