- Other Titles
- The stockman
The Shephard (The Stockman)
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil on canvas on hardboard
- 64.1 x 89.5 cm board; 75.8 x 101.2 x 4.7 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, black oil "Arthur Boyd". Not dated.
- Gift of Arthur Boyd and the Museum of Modern Art and Design of Australia 1972
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Reproduced with permission of Bundanon Trust
- Artist information
Works in the collection
Shown in 8 exhibitions
Arthur Boyd (1953), Peter Bray Gallery, Melbourne, 15 Sep 1953–24 Sep 1953
The formative years, 1940-45, Museum of Modern Art and Design, 17 Oct 1961–14 Nov 1961
Rebels and precursors: aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-1947 (1962):
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne Aug 1962–Sep 1962
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Sep 1962–21 Oct 1962
Arthur Boyd retrospective (1964), Museum of Modern Art and Design, 05 May 1964–28 May 1964
Arthur Boyd's Australia (1970), National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne, 02 Apr 1970–04 May 1970
Arthur Boyd retrospective (1993-1994):
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 15 Dec 1993–06 Mar 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 30 Mar 1994–23 May 1994
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 09 Jun 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 22 Sep 1994–20 Nov 1994
Australian icons: twenty artists from the collection, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 04 Aug 2000–03 Dec 2000
Australian modern masterpieces from the Art Gallery of New South Wales:
Referenced in 8 publications
Margaret Garlick, Dissent: a radical quarterly, 'The extremes of Arthur Boyd', pg. 21-23, Melbourne, Spring 1964, 21-22.
Dr Ursula Hoff, The art of Arthur Boyd, London, 1986, (colour illus.). plate no. 33
Ronald Millar, Civilized magic: an interpretive guide to Australian paintings, Toorak, 1974, 100 (illus.).
Barry Pearce, Look, 'The legacy in Sydney Arthur Boyd', pg. 18-20, Melbourne, Jul 1999, 18.
Barry Pearce, Arthur Boyd retrospective, Sydney, 1993, 62 (colour illus.). cat.no. 44
Franz Philipp, Arthur Boyd, London, 1967, 38, 40. cat.no. 2.34; plate no. 24
Daniel Thomas, Art and Australia, 'Australian collection', pg. 52-62, Sydney, Jul 1972, 61 (illus.).
Rebels and precursors: Aspects of painting in Melbourne 1937-47, 'This exhibition is dedicated to the late Basil Burdett, one-time art critic of the Melbourne "Herald"', pg. 3-6, Victoria, 1968, 5, 8. cat.no. 38; Collection of Modern Art of Australia
Other works by Arthur Boyd
See more works