- Other Titles
- The yellow river
(West Lake, Hangchow)
- Place where the work was made
- Media category
- Materials used
- oil and gouache on paper on canvas on cardboard
- 47.5 x 55.0 cm board; 63.0 x 72.5 x 6.0 cm frame
- Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, pencil "I Fairweather". Not dated.
- Donated in memory of Lina Bryans 2001
- Not on display
- Accession number
- © Ian Fairweather/DACS. Licensed by Copyright Agency
- Artist information
Works in the collection
'West Lake, Hangchow' is a fascinating hybrid between visual cultures, made during the formative part of Fairweather's career after he arrived in Melbourne in 1934. The work clearly reflects something of his Asian experience but also his interest in Post-Impressionism, especially the work of Cézanne and Van Gogh. This passion was shared by other local artists including William Frater, Arnold Shore and Lina Bryans, who strengthened Fairweather's growing interest in the movement.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2004
Shown in 5 exhibitions
Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition (1965-1966):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 03 Jun 1965–04 Jul 1965
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 21 Jul 1965–22 Aug 1965
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 09 Sep 1965–10 Oct 1965
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 26 Oct 1965–21 Nov 1965
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 09 Dec 1965–16 Jan 1966
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 10 Feb 1966–13 Mar 1966
Ian Fairweather 1891-1974: a centenary commemoration (1991), National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne, 25 Sep 1991–06 Nov 1991
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 01 Oct 1994–27 Nov 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 17 Dec 1994–19 Feb 1995
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 22 Mar 1995–07 May 1995
Ink: Whiteley and others (2006), The Brett Whiteley Studio, Surry Hills, 29 Apr 2006–20 Aug 2006
Yin-Yang: China in Australia, S.H. Ervin Gallery, The Rocks, 08 Aug 2008–28 Sep 2008
Referenced in 8 publications
Murray Bail, Mary Eagle, Drusilla Modjeska, Martin Armiger, Joanna Capon and Pierre Ryckmans, Fairweather, Australia, 1994, 64, 75 (colour illus.), 142. plate no. 3
Murray Bail, Ian Fairweather, 'Melbourne, post-impressionism', pg.29-37, Sydney, 2009, 32 (colour illus.), 245. cat.no. 12; plate no. 12; titled '(River, Hangchow)'
Murray Bail, Ian Fairweather, Sydney, 1981, 33, 36 (colour illus.), 231. cat.no. 18; plate no. 9; titled '(West Lake, Hangchow)'; Collection of Lina Bryans, Melbourne.
Barry Pearce, Look, 'Ian Fairweather's Chinese encounter', pg. 28-31, Sydney, Aug 2004, 30 (colour illus.), 31.
Queensland Art Gallery (Curator), Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition, South Brisbane, Jun 1965. cat.no. 64; titled 'The yellow river' (before 1934), Pictures from the collection of Mrs. Lina Bryans
Jill Sykes, Look, 'The Chinese factor: China's indelible impression on Ian Fairweather', pg. 10-11, Melbourne, Nov 2001, 10, 11 (colour illus.).
Anothony White, The Cambridge companion to Australian Art, 'Foreign natives: Australian Modernism 1915-1919', 109-121., Port Melbourne, 2011, 115.
INK: Whiteley and Others, Sydney, 2006. List of works
Other works by Ian Fairweather
See more works