I was running and running ...
James Lynch is renowned for rendering his friend’s dreams in surreal video works that combine hand-drawn animation with live-action film. Lynch’s, I was running and running …, is based his friend Lisa’s dream. In it, a girl (presumably Lisa) runs through the streets of Melbourne with a moka coffee pot, stopping when she meets Lynch and a group of people holding empty mugs. Lynch often appears in his dream works; in this regard, they are uncanny and collaborative self-portraits stemming from his friend’s unconscious.
Lynch explains: ‘In some ways these are narratives based on an example of the unconscious process and how connected we are ’. Lynch reputedly spent 6 months animating this work, hand-drawing each frame with textas and pencils.
1. James Lynch quoted in Ashely Crawford, Art & Australia, vol 43, no 4, winter 2006, p 640
single channel digital video animation, colour, sound
duration: 00:05:30 mins, aspect ratio 4:3
Signature & date
Signed DVD, black fibre-tipped pen "James Lynch ...". Not dated.
Gift of ARTAND 2019. Donated through the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program
Not on display
© James Lynch
Shown in 1 exhibition
Art & Australia collection 2003-2013:
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 08 Dec 2012–17 Feb 2013
- Hazelhurst Regional Gallery and Arts Centre 23 Nov 2013–26 Jan 2014
- Western Plains Cultural Centre, Dubbo 08 Mar 2014–04 May 2014
- Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale 17 May 2014–13 Jul 2014
- Art Gallery of Ballarat, Ballarat 16 Aug 2014–28 Sep 2014
- Ipswich Art Gallery, Ipswich 01 Nov 2014–21 Dec 2014
Referenced in 5 publications
Claire Armstrong, Art and Australia (Vol. 43, No. 3), Sydney, Mar 2006-May 2006, 640, back cover.
Natasha Bullock, Anne Landa award for video and new media arts, Sydney, 2006, 23.
Brenda L Croft and Rachel Kent, Current: contemporary art from Australia and New Zealand, 2006, 172.
Max Delany, NEW05: Mutlu Çerkez, Destiny Deacon, Mira Gojak, James Lynch, Stuart Ringholt, Kathy Temin, Southbank, 2005, 7, 61. cat.no. 6
Eleonora Triguboff (Editor), Art and Australia collection awards projects 2003-2013, Sydney, 2012, 32, 33 (colour illus.).