Basil and Muriel Hooper Scholarship
Applications now closed
The Art Gallery of NSW awards an annual scholarship of $4000 to fine art students attending recognised universities or schools in New South Wales to assist with the cost of fees and general living expenses.
Applicants must have completed at least one year of full-time study. The scholarship is not available to any student currently holding another scholarship.
The scholarship is for an amount of up to $4000 to assist with the cost of fees and general living expenses.
The scholarship is open to Australian students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in fine or visual arts attending recognised universities or schools in New South Wales. Students must have completed one full year of study at the time of application.
Scholarships will be valued at $4000 payable in instalments due at the commencement of each term or semester.
Applicants must not be currently receiving any other scholarship to support their course of study.
How to apply
1. Applicants must submit up to eight JPEG images of recent work formatted into a PowerPoint presentation. Upload your PowerPoint onto a file sharing site and include the hyperlink in your application. Format as a landscape presentation, with each slide featuring one image, centred on a white background with the caption underneath (title, date, medium and size). Make the first slide your name only. A downloadable PowerPoint template is available for your reference on the website. Save your presentation in the following format: ‘SURNAME_Firstname_2017’. For multimedia works, applicants may submit up to two separate MPEG files or link to online content. One video should be no more than two minutes. Instead of JPEG images, applicants enrolled in art history, curatorship or museum studies degrees must submit up to four pieces of written work, two of which must be under 1500 words. Save these in PDF format and upload onto a file sharing site and include the hyperlink in your proposal.
2. Applicants must submit a statement outlining why their financial circumstances are such that they warrant further financial assistance. Statements should be no more than 600 words and should include a budget outlining how the scholarship is proposed to be used.
6. All applicants must complete the application form and include a current CV.
Send your completed application form, CV and PowerPoint via email by Wednesday 1 November 2017, 5pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital submissions are strongly preferred. However, you may submit your full application on a labelled CD or USB stick and deliver in person to the reception desk on the upper level of the Art Gallery of NSW or post to:
Scholarships, Internships and Prizes
c/o Yuki Kawakami
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Art Gallery Road, The Domain Sydney NSW 2000
Download application form (PDF 289.1 KB)
Download PowerPoint template (POT 102.5 KB)
1. The winner will be notified in early December 2017.
2. The scholarship is judged by Gallery staff.
3. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.