Barbara Tribe Travelling Art Scholarship
Applications close on Friday 22 May 2020
The Barbara Tribe Travelling Art Scholarship valued at $25,000 is awarded every two years, beginning in 2020, to an Australian female sculptor in conjunction with the studio residency at La Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris.
Based in Great Britain for most of her adult life, Barbara Tribe is one of Australia’s most significant 20th-century sculptors, recognised for her work with Rayner Hoff and for her own figurative and portrait sculptures.
Tribe was one of a group of sculptors employed by Hoff to assist with the major work of his career, the Anzac Memorial in Sydney’s Hyde Park. She has exhibited in England with the Royal Academy, Newlyn Society, St Ives Society of Artists and Society of Portrait Sculptors. In 1935 Tribe was awarded the New South Wales Travelling Art Scholarship, which allowed her to relocate to England. This was the first time the scholarship had been awarded to a sculptor and the first time it had been awarded to a woman.
Valued at $25,000, the Barbara Tribe Travelling Art Scholarship is payable in three monthly instalments for the two-month tenancy (Moya Dyring Studio) or four monthly instalments for the three-month tenancy (Dr Denise Hickey Memorial Studio). The scholarship can be used to cover the costs of travel, monthly maintenance fee to the Cité authorities and living expenses associated with the residency.
- The winner will be chosen from successful applicants to the Paris studio residency that year.
- Applicants must be a female sculptor.
- Preference will be given to residents of Australia who have been so for at least two years.
How to apply
Complete the online application form on the Studios in Paris page by Wednesday 22 May 2020. You will be asked to indicate whether you are eligible for the Barbara Tribe Travelling Art Scholarship.
- Finalists will be selected and contacted in late June 2020.
- The Scholarship will be judged by a panel consisting of Gallery staff.
- Recipient of the Barbara Tribe Travelling Art Scholarship will be chosen from successful applicants to the Paris studio residency.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.