The Art Gallery Society of NSW (ABN 26 000 207 198) (the Art Gallery Society, we, our or us)¹ is committed to respecting your privacy.
1 Information we collect about you
The Art Gallery Society only collects personal information that we require to perform our functions. The types of information we collect and our purposes for collecting that information, include:
- Membership of the Art Gallery Society – when you become a member of the Art Gallery Society, we will collect your name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, student identification number if you are a student, the names of your children under the age of 18 and their dates of birth if you are purchasing a household membership package and payment information (including credit card details if relevant). You may also elect to provide us with other information, including your employer and/or position. We will use this information to process your membership fee and donation, issue any tax receipt to which you are entitled, contact you annually to invite you to renew your membership, record and acknowledge your support if relevant, and contact you by email or mail from time to time with information about the Art Gallery Society, its supporters and details of the events that are offered to our members. Throughout your membership we will also collect information on your membership type history, as well as your programs and event attendance history, your product utilisation history and contact and interaction notes.
- Other supporters and volunteers – if you are a current or potential Art Gallery Society supporter or volunteer, we may collect your name, address and other contact details, other personal information and records of our communications with you. We will use that information to encourage, record and acknowledge your support where applicable (including in the Art Gallery Society Annual Report) and to contact you from time to time about our activities and for promotional purposes.
- Financial donors – if you make a donation online, we will collect your internet address; if you make a donation by mail order we will collect information on your credit card number, names and expiry dates, but not your CCV in order to process your donation.
- Assisting with your enquiries – when you call us, fax us or write to us, or when you enquire in person at the Gallery you may choose to provide us with your name and contact details so that we can respond to your request or to provide you with information about the Art Gallery Society’s services or activities.
- Online visitors – In general, you can visit the Art Gallery Society website without telling us who you are or revealing anything about yourself. When you visit our web pages, or download information from it, our Internet Service Provider makes a record of your visit and records the following information: your internet address, your domain name (if applicable), the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed and documents downloaded, the previous website you have visited and the type of browser you are using. However, this information is only used for statistical purposes and website development.
We will generally collect the personal information directly from you, including when you contact us by email, through our website, over the telephone, fax or in person. We may also collect personal information from third parties where permitted by under applicable law, including company mailing lists which are purchased for the purposes of direct marketing to companies for corporate memberships.
We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources. As a general rule we do not collect sensitive information (as defined in the Privacy Act). However, if we do, it will usually be for the purposes of providing our services and, where the law requires us to, we will seek your consent to collect it.
2 Use and disclosure of your personal information
We use and disclose the personal information that we collect in order to:
- process your membership or booking;
- provide you with our booking and other services;
- facilitate event admission;
- respond to your enquiries;
- communicate with our members and supporters;
- improve our services and activities to our members;
- maintain our databases and distribution lists of members, supports and volunteers;
- conduct our general business activities, including without limitation: interacting with our contractors, services providers and agents; undertaking billing and administration; evaluating the effectiveness of our activities; assessing applicants for positions as employees or volunteers.
- financial institutions (such as the Commonwealth Bank) when you provide us with your account details for online bookings or membership whom processes online payments on our behalf;
- contracted service providers who arrange our magazines and other communications to be posted to your electronic or mailing addresses;
- other parties in a non-personalised, aggregated format (ie non-identifiable);
- other entities as required or authorised by law.
3 Security of your personal information
The Art Gallery Society’s online booking form collects your credit card details for transactions securely over the internet using an online payment technology called Secure Socket Layer ('SSL’). SSL was developed so that only the intended recipient should be able to decipher messages addressed to them. This will significantly improve security of data provided by or for members.
We also engage a number of electronic and physical measures to protect your personal information.
Once any personal information comes into our possession, we will take all reasonable steps to protect that information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure in compliance with the requirements of the Privacy Act.
We remind you, however, that the internet is not a secure environment and that no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
The Art Gallery Society’s website may also detect and use an individual’s IP address or domain name for internal traffic monitoring and capacity purposes or to otherwise administer the website. No personal information is obtained, rather the patterns of usage of visitors to the website may be tracked for the purposes of providing improved service and content based on aggregate or statistical review of user site traffic patterns.
The Art Gallery Society’s web pages and email newsletters may contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. Linked websites are not controlled by the Art Gallery Society and we are not responsible for their content or information privacy practices.
6 Accessing and correcting your personal information
In general, you have the right to access the personal information the Art Gallery Society holds about you. To request access to your personal information, please contact us using the details set out below.
You can access your customer account details over the phone or in person via trained customer service staff members. In the future, you may also be able to access your details on our website via a secure log-in on an opt-in basis.
When you request access to your personal information, we may be required to verify your identity. To allow us to do so, please send your request to us whether by email or mail. We will acknowledge your request within 14 days and will respond within 30 days after your request is made Depending on the type of personal information, where the information is stored and the time required to respond to your request, we may charge you a fee for the administrative cost of supplying you with the information you have requested. This fee will not be excessive.
If we refuse to provide you with access to your personal information or do not provide you with access in the manner you have requested, we will give you a written notice stating the reasons for our refusal (unless it would be unreasonable for us to do so).
If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is not complete, accurate or up-to-date, you may contact us to seek correction of that information. We will take reasonable steps to correct such personal information. If we are not able to correct your personal information in the way you request, we will notify you of the reasons for our refusal (unless it would be unreasonable for us to do so).
7 Making a complaint
You may make a complaint about our handling of your personal information by contacting us using the details set out below. We will generally acknowledge your request within 14 days and respond within 30 days after your request is made to let you know what the next steps are for resolving your complaint. If we are not able to resolve your complaint, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, which will be able to provide you with information about your other options.
8 Contact us
You have a right to access personal information we hold about you. If you wish to access your personal information, make a correction to your personal information, would like more information about our approach to privacy or want to make a complaint about your information privacy, please contact us:
Art Gallery Society of NSW
Art Gallery of NSW
Art Gallery Road
The Domain, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
Tel +61 2 9225 1878
Effective: 13 February 2015
Updated: 24 August 2017 (version 2)