The central room of the upper Asian gallery is used for temporary exhibitions while the outer area – also called the Edward and Goldie Sternberg Gallery of Southeast Asian Art – houses art from the collection including export ceramics and works inspired by the faiths of Asia. The pavilion housing this gallery is a floating white glass-and-steel cube, pivoted with stainless-steel lotus flowers. Cantilevered on top of the original Asian gallery, it glows softly at night like a paper lantern over Sydney Harbour.
See also the Asian galleries
- Head towards the rear of the Gallery
- Take the ramp (on your right) up to the Asian gallery
- Take the lift (on your left) up one level, to “G”
- Turn right into the entrance court and head towards the front of the Gallery
- Take the ramp (on your left) up to the Asian gallery