With an ever-growing interest in the artistic traditions of our Asian neighbours, VisAsia works collaboratively with the Art Gallery of NSW to bring a diverse range of traditional and contemporary Asian art to the Australian public and the Gallery’s international visitors.
VisAsia, the Australian Institute of Asian Culture and Visual Arts, was established in 1999. Managed by a board of directors, it includes the VisAsia Council and individual VisAsia membership.
Supporting exhibitions and education
VisAsia’s funds are directed towards two main support areas: exhibitions and education.
The Art Gallery of NSW has a distinguished reputation for outstanding Asian art exhibitions. Many are of international significance and are often showcased in conjunction with partner museums across Asia. The diverse and stimulating exhibition program presents not only some of the most challenging contemporary Asian art being made, but also intimate and delicate Asian antiquities.
- Tezuka: the marvel of Manga (2006)
- The lost Buddhas: Chinese Buddhist sculpture from QingZhou (2008)
- Garden and cosmos: the royal paintings of Jodhpur (2009–10)
- Kamisaka Sekka: dawn of modern Japanese design (2012)
- Conversations through the Asian collections (2014–16)
- Tang 唐: treasures from the Silk Road capital (2016)
- Beyond words: calligraphic traditions of Asia (2016–17)
In the area of education, Asian art lecture series, events, teaching programs and tours deepen the public’s engagement with exhibitions and the Gallery’s Asian art collection.
Give your support
Two levels of VisAsia support are available.
VisAsia supporters commit to a donation of $1500 per year for four years.
Foundation-level VisAsia supporters commit to a donation of $1800 per year for four years.
Exclusive privileges for VisAsia supporters include:
- exclusive private viewings of Asian exhibitions at the Gallery with curators and artists
- invitations to Asian exhibition openings
- invitation to the official opening of the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes
- complimentary quarterly copies of TAASA Review
In addition, VisAsia supporters at Foundation level are offered:
- invitations to at least four private viewings annually of major exhibitions at the Gallery
- invitations to selected Gallery official openings
- acknowledgement on the honour board
- Foundation newsletter
Contact VisAsia for more information or to join (right).