Search the library and archive
You can search the holdings of the Art Gallery of NSW research library and archive using the online library catalogue.
What is included
- Australian and international books, journals, rare and folio publications, exhibition catalogues and audiovisual material (eg DVDs)
- Artists books (under 'special editions’)
- Artists’ personal libraries (under 'bequests’)
- Ephemera files for Australian artists (surnames from A to J, as at September 2015)
- Artists archives now held in our archive
- Other galleries and art societies archives now held in our archive
What is NOT included
- Art Gallery of NSW administration archives and most ephemera – please visit or contact the library
- Press clippings – see Press clippings database
- Art prizes – see Prizes database
- Auction catalogues – use Auction index
- Art Gallery of NSW exhibition records – use Exhibition index
The library has extensive holdings of art auction catalogues, from 1886 to current date, which are searchable via this index. We hold over 7700 catalogues of major and some minor auction houses in Australia and overseas. Our current focus is on Australian auction publications.
You can search online for auction catalogues by title, date and/or auction house.
To search for artworks sold at auction, please visit or contact the library. We subscribe to several Australian and international art auction price databases, which can only be used in the library at the Gallery. For more information, see Research tools.
This index lists the exhibitions the Gallery has organised or hosted from 1872 to 2011. Some collection displays may not be included.
These exhibition records include exhibition titles, dates, curator(s), all exhibiting artists (under 'contents’) and exhibiting venues. If there is an exhibition publication, a link is provided to its record.
For information on more recent exhibitions, see the What’s on section of the Gallery website.
Library and archive
Open to the public
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10am–4pm
No appointment necessary
Conditions apply to accessing archive
Closing for summer holidays and installation of new storage
Last day open in 2015: 28 November
First day open in 2016: 2 February
Physical access to the library and archive for those who cannot use the stairs can be arranged with prior notice (preferably one working day): tel 02 9225 1738. Visitors with disabilities may wish to contact the Gallery’s access coordinator: tel 02 9225 1647.