How to download the Look magazine app for the first time
First, you have to install the app.
To do this you need:
- an iPad
- an Apple ID and password
- an internet connection (WiFi recommended as the files are quite large)
- your current membership number and surname (as it appears on your membership card)
Then follow these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon on your iPad.
- Enter 'Look magazine art gallery nsw’ in the search bar at the top right of the App Store screen (indicated by a magnifying glass).
- Tap the blue ‘Free’ button next to the Look Magazine app icon.
- Tap 'Install’.
- Enter your Apple ID and password when prompted.
- Once downloaded, tap 'Open’ or go the Newsstand app on your iPad, where Look will now appear.
How to download and access your first issue of Look
First, make sure you have installed the app (see above).
Then follow these steps:
- Tap the Newsstand icon on your iPad.
- Tap the Look magazine image.
- You will be asked: 'Look magazine would like to send you new issues and push notifications’. If you want to be notified automatically when a new issue is available for download (which we recommend), tap OK. If not, tap Don’t Allow.
- You will see various issues available for download. The current issue will be at bottom right and labelled ‘latest issue’.
- Tap the image or icon for this issue.
- Tap the 'Member log-in’ option and enter your member ID and surname. The magazine will begin downloading.
- To open Look, either swipe left to begin reading from the start or tap the cover to see the bottom navigation bar.
- In the navigation bar, tap Help if you need further assistance. You can access this bar from any page in Look by simply tapping the screen once.
How to find out when new issues are available
You can choose to be notified when a new issue of Look is available for download via a pop-up message on your iPad. To do this, you need to enable 'push notifications’ for the Look magazine app.
Follow these steps:
- Tap the Settings icon on your iPad.
- Select 'Notifications’ or ‘Notification Centre’ from the menu on the left.
- Select Look magazine from the list of apps in the menu on the right.
- Decide how you would like to be alerted. Select 'Banners’ or 'Alerts’ as the alert style.
- Slide the button next to ‘Show in Notification Centre’ to turn it on.
You can change this at any time.
If you choose not to receive notifications, you will need to check Newsstand yourself every month or so to see if new issues are available.
How to download other issues of Look
Some back issues of Look are also available via Newsstand.
For the easiest way to access these, follow these steps:
- In Newsstand, tap on copy of Look you have already downloaded.
- Tap once on the cover or any page to access the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap 'Library’.
- Tap the arrows on the side of the screen to move through the listing.
- Tap 'Free download’ on the desired issue.
You can also access any previously downloaded issues at any time by tapping on Library.
Frequently asked questions
What if I don’t have an Apple ID?
You’ll need to create one. For more information, see the Apple website Note: the Art Gallery Society of NSW does not receive any information associated with your Apple ID.
Why do I have to give my credit card details if Look is free?
This is a requirement of Apple so you can get an Apple ID and use the App Store. This is the only way to access iPad apps like the one for Look. As a Gallery member, your credit card will NOT be charged for Look – just use the member log-in with your member id and surname when you download your first issue in Newsstand.
Do I have to log in for each new Look issue?
No. You only need to log in the first time you download an issue in Newsstand.
What if I get an error message when I enter my membership details?
Check the details you entered are correct. If you have a family membership, the surname will be the primary member surname. If you have a company membership, ensure you have entered the full company name. If you still receive an error message, phone 02 9225 1878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I can’t see Look in the notification centre?
Turn your iPad off completely then turn it back on and try again. This should update the list.
Why do I get a message saying 'View is unavailable. Rotate to view correct orientation’?
On an iPad, some content can be viewed horizontally (landscape view) or vertically (portrait view). The Look magazine app, like the printed magazine, can only be viewed vertically.