Director of Collections
Position number 13/CU1611
Dr Michael Brand tel +61 2 9225 1725
Friday 1 March 2013
Download information package
(PDF 2.0 MB)
The Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, is seeking a senior art museum professional to fill the new position of Director of Collections as part of its executive team. The successful candidate will join the Gallery at a time when it is embarking upon a major transformation. Possessing international museum connections and a deep understanding of art history, the Director of Collections will primarily be responsible for the Gallery’s collections of Australian and international art, and their further development. Other major responsibilities include contributing to the development of the Gallery’s temporary exhibition program and contributing to plans for an expansion of the Gallery’s building. The Director of Collections must be creative by nature and driven by a desire to make a major impact on the visual arts in Australia and internationally.
An attractive salary package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
- Post-graduate degree in art history or equivalent professional experience, including a level of scholarship and a substantial record of authoritative publications and exhibition projects that has lead to recognition as an international expert in the field.
- Broad understanding of the fields of both Australian art and international art, including the art of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Extensive experience as a senior art museum manager with excellent communication, interpersonal and team management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of art museum management practices including registration and conservation as well as an awareness of legal matters relating to tax incentives, copyright and moral rights for artists.
- Extensive knowledge of art history and significant experience and success in leading curatorial teams to develop and display collections of the highest artistic quality.
- An extensive international network of professional colleagues in both art museums and academia.
- Sound knowledge of the values of works of art and the workings of the art market including the ability discern the quality of works of art, their physical condition, and their authenticity.
- Ability to organise and control budgets within an accrual accounting system.