Sydney Students Speak
Sydney Students Speak offers tertiary students of art and art history the chance to get involved with 19th Biennale of Sydney: You Imagine What You Desire.
Six students will be selected to each deliver a 20-minute, public talk on an artwork of their choice in the exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW.
The talks will take place at 5.30pm on Wednesday evenings from 20 April to 4 June 2014 as part of the Gallery’s Art After Hours program.
Successful applicants will be given an introduction to the Biennale and training in gallery speaking by the Gallery’s Public Programs professionals.
Eligibility and key dates
Places are limited, and eligible applications will be accepted for audition as they are received so get in early.
To be eligible, you must be a student in art, art history or a related discipline in a senior year (2nd, 3rd, Honours) at a NSW tertiary institution.
You must also be available on the following days, if selected:
- Wednesday 12 March 2014 from 6pm for an audition
- Sunday 23 March 2014 10am-3.30pm for a training day (NOT Saturday 22 March 2014 11am–4pm as previously advised)
- Wednesdays 30 April – 4 June 2014, 5.30–6.30pm for all the talks
This is a great chance to get some hands-on experience in one of Australia’s major galleries, to participate in the official Biennale program, and to add an interesting line to your CV.
How to apply
1. Register your interest by Tuesday 11 March 2014
Email email@example.com with the following information:
- your full name
- contact phone number
- institution and degree name, and major (if applicable)
- student number
- name, email address and phone number of a referee (current lecturer/tutor is ideal)
Successful applicants will be contacted by email regarding the audition.
2. Prepare for your audition
Plan a 5-minute talk on one contemporary artist to present to the Gallery’s panel. Keep a general, non-specialist audience in mind. You may bring a PowerPoint presentation with no more than three images of the art you will discuss on a USB drive.