Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- Robin Eley Bibliography
- Jeremy Kibel Jeremy Kibel – self-portrait
- Nora Heysen Self portrait 1932
- Pierre Bonnard Self portrait c1938-c40
- Francis Bacon Study for self-portrait 1976
Questions and activities
- What is a self-portrait? Why do you think artists choose to paint themselves for the Archibald Prize? What do these examples here tell us about each artist’s personality? What clues have the artists given the audience about their art practice?
- Describe the expression on each artist’s face and their gaze. What do you think they are thinking? Are these just physical images of the artists or are they something more?
- Do you think these portraits were painted from a reflection in a mirror, a photograph or from their imagination? Explain your response.