Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- Natasha Bieniek Fluoroscuro
- Adam Chang Emile Sherman
- Melissa Egan Old master, Charles Blackman
- Unknown artist, China Court lady 8th century
- Ambrosius Benson Portraits of Cornelius Duplicius de Scheppere and his wife Elizabeth Donche c1540
- Ron Mueck Untitled (old woman in bed) 2000-02
Questions and activities
- Does the scale of a portrait impact on your reading of the work? Do extremely small or large portraits challenge the audience in an exhibition such as the Archibald Prize? Weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of submitting a small or large portrait for this prize.
- Compare and contrast the approach to painting by each of these artists. Look closely and compare the surface qualities of the paintings. Imagine the methods and technique used by each artist when applying paint to the surface.
- While in the exhibition, evaluate how you interact with these artworks. Observe how other viewers approach the works. Consider the prevalence and role of miniatures and large-scale portraits at different times in the history of art.