Reading into the art
Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- Monika Behrens The artist’s practice
- Kate Beynon Lindy Lee (Year of the Dragon)
- Leslie Rice Seeking a change, Madame Lulu, bearded lady, becomes 'Tattooed Suzie’ – portrait of Lucky 'Diamond’ Rich
- KAINOSHÔ Tadaoto Beauty looking back c1928
- Sidney Nolan First-class marksman 1946
- John Mawurndjul Buluwana 2002
Questions and activities
- Look closely at each portrait. List the items you can see. Reflect on how each artist has included props and objects to communicate meaning in the portrait. Discuss your opinion about these artworks and your view on including objects to express a personality.
- Assess the mood of each of these paintings. How do the portraits make you feel? Explore how light and shadow have been used to create a mood.
- Assess the body language of the sitter in each of the portraits. Discuss how the pose of each sitter is a central focus of the composition.