Materials and techniques
Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- David Fairbairn Large head JB no. 1 (with blue ground)
- Reko Rennie Hetti
- Craig Waddell I see myself in you – self-portrait
- Vincent van Gogh Head of a peasant 1884
- Frank Auerbach JYM Seated IV 1992
- Barry McGee Untitled (man with baseball hat) 2000
Questions and activities
- Closely observe the surface qualities of each of these portraits, taking note of the techniques employed by each artist. What are their similarities and differences?
- Create a visual record of the various types of marks you can see among all the Archibald Prize 2012 finalist portraits. Look carefully at the way the artists have applied paint in these particular examples. Which approach appeals to you, and why?
- Imagine the type of tools that were used to create these artworks. In the classroom, experiment with a variety of conventional and unconventional painting implements and compare their effects. Does chance and spontaneity play a role in the final image?