Colour my world
Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- Marcus Callum Self-portrait
- Ben Quilty Captain S after Afghanistan
- Martin Sharp The thousand dollar bill
- Roy de Maistre Mrs Victor White c1938
- Ralph Balson Portrait of Grace Crowley 1939
- Yves Klein Portrait relief PR3 (portrait of Claude Pascal) 1962
Questions and activities
- List the colours you can see in each of the portraits. Categorise them into types and consider their relationship with each other (eg primary, secondary, harmonious and complementary colours).
- Which colours seem to come forward or to recede? How do these colours make you feel? How do you think the person in each painting is feeling?
- Discuss how the manipulation of colour plays a vital role in the success of these portraits. Would you read these portraits differently if they were in black and white?