All in the face
Archibald Prize 2012 portraits
- Vernon Ah Kee I see Deadly people, Lex Wotton
- Luke Cornish Father Bob
- Jenny Sages After Jack
- George W Lambert Portrait of a lady (Thea Proctor) 1916
- Brenda L Croft Mary Mumbulla and Murri Craigie 1993
- Bill Viola Six heads 2000
Questions and activities
- Imitate each of the facial expressions in these portraits. Describe these expressions. What do you think each person is thinking? Write a speech bubble for each portrait.
- Compare and contrast the styles of these portraits. Note the mediums used by each artist. Discuss how the choice of materials can influence an artist’s approach to painting. Discuss how colour has been used to suggest the mood.
- Read the artist statements of the Archibald Prize finalists. Is your interpretation of these paintings altered after reading the statements? Discuss your reaction and appreciation of these portraits with the new information.