(Figure in a hat)
Figure in a Hat
gouache on cardboard
53.0 x 38.6 cm board (irreg.); 62.3 x 48.3 x 4.8 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed l.r. corner, pale blue gouache "IF". Not dated.
Not on display
© Ian Fairweather/DACS. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
Shown in 3 exhibitions
Australian Painting: Colonial, Impressionist, Contemporary (1962-63):
Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition (1965-1966):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 03 Jun 1965–04 Jul 1965
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 21 Jul 1965–22 Aug 1965
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 09 Sep 1965–10 Oct 1965
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 26 Oct 1965–21 Nov 1965
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 09 Dec 1965–16 Jan 1966
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 10 Feb 1966–13 Mar 1966
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 01 Oct 1994–27 Nov 1994
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 17 Dec 1994–19 Feb 1995
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 22 Mar 1995–07 May 1995
Referenced in 6 publications
Murray Bail, Ian Fairweather, 'Drawings, mostly', pg. 84-93, Sydney, 2009, 91 (colour illus.), 253. plate no. 67; Note that this publication refers to this work by the title "Figure in a Hat".
Murray Bail, Mary Eagle, Drusilla Modjeska, Martin Armiger, Joanna Capon and Pierre Ryckmans, Fairweather, Australia, 1994, 94 (colour illus.), 142. plate no. 22; Note that this publication refers to this work by the title "Figure in a hat".
Hendrik Kolenberg, Twentieth century Australian watercolours from the collection, Sydney, 1989. cat.no. 13
Leon Paroissien (Editor), Australian Art Review, 'Ian Fairweather', p140-143, Rozelle, 1982, 143 (illus.).
Queensland Art Gallery (Curator), Fairweather: a retrospective exhibition, South Brisbane, Jun 1965. cat.no. 33; not paginated; this publication refers to this print by the title "Figure in hat".
Clive Turnbull, Jean Campbell and Daniel Thomas, Australian painting: colonial, impressionist, contemporary, Adelaide, 1962, 43. cat.no. 107; This publication refers to this work as "Figure in hat".