Germany, United States of America
1905 - 18 Dec 2006
'In photographing the nude, it is my aim to transform the complexities of the figure into harmonies of simplified form, illuminating the innate life force and spirit as well as the underlying remarkable bone structure. The endless variety of nature's designs and shapes amaze and thrill me...
Light is my inspiration, my paint and brush. It is as vital as the model herself. Profoundly significant, it caresses the essential superlative curves and lines. Light I acknowledge as the energy upon which all life on this planet depends.
For me, the creation of a photograph is experienced as a heightened emotional response, most akin to poetry and music, each image the culmination of a compelling impulse I cannot deny. Whether working with a human figure or a still life, I am deeply aware of my spiritual connection with it.' Ruth Bernhard 1986
gelatin silver photograph
34.3 x 22.3 cm image; 50.5 x 40.5 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed and dated verso, pencil "1962 Ruth Bernhard". Signed l.r.corner, pencil "Ruth Bernhard".
Gift of Edron Pty Ltd - 1996 through the auspices of Alistair McAlpine
Unable to display image due to copyright restrictions
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Ruth Bernhard: Known and Unknown:
- University Art Museum (California State Uni), Long Beach 08 Oct 1996–17 Nov 1996
- Detroit Institiute of Arts, Detroit 11 Dec 1996–09 Feb 1997
- Cincinnati Art Museum 01 Mar 1997–27 Apr 1997
- Samuel P Harn Museum of Arts, University of Florida, Gainsville 13 Jul 1997–15 Sep 1997
- Arkansas Arts Centre, Little Rock 01 Oct 1997–01 Nov 1997
- Herbert F Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University, Ithaca 15 Mar 1998–16 May 1998
Body Parts, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 26 Sep 2015–31 Jan 2016