Through sunny meadows
09 Aug 1877 - 30 Apr 1964
oil on canvas
71.1 x 142.3 cm stretcher; 99.4 x 171.0 x 7.5 cm frame
Signature & date
Signed l.l. corner, grey/blue oil "Howard Ashton". Not dated.
Not on display
Where the work was made
Shown in 4 exhibitions
Society of Artists Spring Exhibition (1898), Vickery's Chambers, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898–Sep 1898
Australian arcady: landscape paintings from the collection of the the Art Galery of New South Wales:
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, Bathurst 21 Apr 1983–22 May 1983
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 27 May 1983–19 Jun 1983
- Wagga Wagga City Art Gallery, Australia 25 Jun 1983–22 Jul 1983
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 26 Aug 1983–30 Sep 1983
A century of Australian landscape painting: mood and moment:
Golden Summers - Heidelberg and beyond:
- National Gallery of Victoria [St Kilda Road], Melbourne 30 Oct 1985–27 Jan 1986
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 21 Feb 1986–20 Apr 1986
- Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 09 May 1986–29 Jun 1986
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth 30 Jul 1986–14 Sep 1986
Referenced in 9 publications
Jane Clark, Golden summers: Heidelberg and beyond, 'Sydney Harbour', pg. 150-152, Melbourne, 1985, 163 (colour illus.).
Barry Pearce, A century of Australian landscape: mood and moment, Sydney, 1983, 15, 50 (colour illus.). cat.no. 31
Ursula Prunster, Australian arcady: Landscape paintings from the Art Gallery of New South Wales collection, Sydney, 1983. cat.no. 15 Note no pagination, text reference only.
R.F.I., Australian magazine, 'Impressionism in Art', pg. 347, Sydney, Aug 1899, 347 (illus.).
Bernard William Smith, A catalogue of Australian oil paintings in the National Art Gallery of New South Wales 1875-1952, Sydney, 1953, 14-15. cat.no. 7
Society of Artists, Society of Artists Annual Exhibition (1898), Sydney, 1898, not paginated. cat.no. 57
Vivienne Webb, Australian art: in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 'Golden age', pg. 37-38, Sydney, 2000, 66 (colour illus.), 300.
Editor Unknown (Editor), The Sydney Morning Herald, 'Society of Artist's Exhibition', author unknown, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898, unknown. see AGNSW Press Clippings 1894-1906, pg. 187
Editor Unknown (Editor), Daily telegraph, 'Society of Artists. Annual Spring Show. A Fine Collection. Some Melbourne Work.', author unknown, Sydney, 27 Aug 1898, unknown (b&w line illus.). see AGNSW Press Clippings 1894-1906, pg.188