With this tranquil idealised scene Yuse creates an archetypal symbol encapsulating the traditional Japanese veneration of nature. Most Japanese forests are in the mountains and inaccessible, and therefore from ancient times the mountains have been regarded as sacred places, the dwelling place of spirits. There is a permanent, iconic presence and purity to his image that perpetuates Japan's animist approach to nature. To reiterate this reverence, Yuse has subtly shown the gradual autumnal transformation of the mountains, where the autumnal trees and their reflections, form the shape of a butterfly, a traditionally auspicious symbol. By concentrating just on the one motif of the pine tree, and capturing the variations within that one motif, he has demonstrated the perennial Japanese sense of constant refinement of a single motif.
Yuse was born in Akita Province and now lives in Tokyo.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints: The Urban Bonsai, 1992, pg. 116.
Place where the work was made
Heisei period 1989 - → Japan
70.0 x 54.5 cm image;80.7 x 66.4 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed l.r., pencil "Y.Yuse". Not dated.
Gift of the artist 1993
Not on display
Where the work was made
Shown in 1 exhibition
The Urban Bonsai:
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Mar 1992–04 May 1992
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington 20 Jun 1992–09 Aug 1992
- Christchurch Art Gallery, Christchurch 12 Sep 1992–29 Oct 1992
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 13 Nov 1992–10 Jan 1993
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 18 Mar 1993–25 Apr 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 08 May 1993–01 Aug 1993
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 11 Mar 1994–24 Apr 1994
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 19 May 1994–19 Jun 1994
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 15 Jul 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Nov 1994–24 Dec 1994
- Tweed River Regional Art Gallery, Murwillumbah 01 Feb 1995–05 Mar 1995
Referenced in 1 publication
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints : The Urban Bonsai, Sydney, 1992, 115 (colour illus.), 116. cat.no. 75