Cat Town I
Kanaida depicts on thick paper an imaginary fantasy town inhabited only by cats. For the Japanese cats are rich in magical and folkloric associations; the cat has long been credited with mysterious supernatural powers, and there are many and varied folk stories about cats. Images of the 'maneki neko' (beckoning cat), with one paw raised, are to be seen in doorways and windows all over Japan, serving as mascots to entice riches and good fortune inside. Since cats often appear as ghosts or goblins, Kanaida's print also could be seen as a metaphor for a ghost town. Recently in metropolitan Japan, cats have assumed a more poignant significance as companions for people living alone in busy cities. These historical and modern associations of the cat form the warp and weft of Kanaida's original image.
Kanaida lives in Tokyo, having been educated at Tama Art University and born in Yamanashi.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints: The Urban Bonsai, 1992, pg. 53.
Neko machi I
Place where the work was made
Heisei period 1989 - → Japan
61.5 x 79.0 cm image; 69.0 x 91.0 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed l.r., pencil "E Kanaida". Not dated.
Gift of the artist 1993
Not on display
Where the work was made
Shown in 1 exhibition
The Urban Bonsai:
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 04 Mar 1992–04 May 1992
- National Art Gallery, Wellington, Wellington 20 Jun 1992–09 Aug 1992
- Christchurch Art Gallery, Christchurch 12 Sep 1992–29 Oct 1992
- Manawatu Art Gallery, New Zealand 13 Nov 1992–10 Jan 1993
- The George Adams Gallery, Victorian Arts Centre, Melbourne 18 Mar 1993–25 Apr 1993
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 08 May 1993–01 Aug 1993
- Lewers Bequest and Penrith Regional Art Gallery, Emu Plains 11 Mar 1994–24 Apr 1994
- Drill Hall Gallery, Australian National University, Canberra 19 May 1994–19 Jun 1994
- Campbelltown Arts Centre, Campbelltown 15 Jul 1994–21 Aug 1994
- Moree Plains Gallery, Moree 11 Nov 1994–24 Dec 1994
- Tweed River Regional Art Gallery 01 Feb 1995–05 Mar 1995
Referenced in 1 publication
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Prints : The Urban Bonsai, Sydney, 1992, 47 (colour illus.), 53. cat.no. 23