The old mill, Mt. Gilead, N.S.W.
Sydney Ure Smith
09 Jan 1887 - 11 Oct 1949
"Built by Thomas Rose in 1836 from sandstone quarried on the property and ironbark timber also from the property. It was 60 feet high and reputed to have contained the finest millstones in the colony. Remained in active operation until about 1877."
Hal Missingham, 'The etchings of Sydney Ure Smith', Ure Smith Pty. Limited, Sydney, 1950
etching, printed in brown ink on paper
17.4 x 15.6 cm platemark; 22.9 x 21.2 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed and dated l.r. corner, pencil "Sydney Ure Smith/ Dec 1915".
Signed in plate to print l.l. corner, incised "S. Ure S.".
Not on display
Referenced in 1 publication
Hal Missingham and Lionel Lindsay, The etchings of Sydney Ure Smith, Sydney, 1950, (illus.). plate no. 3; titled 'The old mill, Mt. Gilead, N.S.W.', etched 1915