(Japan 1926 – 2004)
22.6 x 18.5 cm
Shimizu was born in Kyoto in 1926. In 1940 at the age of 14 he entered the studio of potter Ishiguro Munemaro (1893-1968; see also Fujio Koyama), and began throwing his own pots. In 1941 he entered the Kyoto Municipal Laboratory of Ceramic Art where he continued his study of iron glaze, for which he became most famous. After about 18 months he then joined the Ceramic Section of the Kyoto Municipal Technological Research Centre but ceased work there in 1945 to become a potter.
He initially made Raku type wares, first exhibiting in 1948 in Kyoto. Subsequently he entered many exhibitions in Japan and abroad and won many prizes. He was a regular exhibitor in the annual exhibitions of the Japan Traditional Crafts Association as well as exhibiting with other associations. In 1959 he won a prize at the Firenze International Exhibition and in 1963 was honoured as one of the six greatest ceramic artists in the world at the International Exhibition of Contemporary Ceramic Art in Washington.
His first one-man show was held in 1958 at Mitsukoshi department store. In 1970 he moved from Kyoto to Shiga Prefecture where, together with another potter, he opened the Hôrai (lit. Elysium) kiln.
In 1985 he was designated a Living National Treasure.
Jackie Menzies, Contemporary Japanese Ceramics, Sydney, 1991, 4. cat.no. 27